Tuesday 5 July 2011

Sunny Sunday Snaps

With all the wonderful weather at the weekend, I spent most of it outdoors sipping Cider in the local's beer garden. With a little bit of a headache on Sunday, I chose to walk it away with a little jaunt to  Saltwell Park in Gateshead which is just 5 mins walk from my front door. After wandering around in the 30 degree heat I decided to grab a drink and an Ice Cream and sat down next to the boating lake within the compound.

It was here where I gazed across the way and saw a few older gentlemen busy at the water's edge. I watched with interest as they lowered something into the water. It was a remote controlled model tug boat followed by a few more that I couldn't make out. Although my main modelling interests lie with railways, I always appriciate other types of  model and the hard work that goes into creating the miniature versions.

Through cider induced bleary eyes, I take 5 minutes out to enjoy these
miniature nautical models

Saltwell Park itself is a real gem of a location and has plenty to do and see. Features include Saltwell Towers, which was once the main residence of the grounds. It has been converted to include a small Museum and Cafe. Other attractions here are the Bird Avieries and small Petting Zoo. It has nostalgic Bandstands, Rose Gardens, Waterfalls, 3 Childrens Play Areas, Tennis Courts,
the Boating Lake and many large grass covered open areas perfect for Picnics or a kick about with a ball.

I also remember being a kid coming here and it having a full sized plane next to the play park. It was a 017 Vickers Viscount which you could board using stairs, walk through the empty fuselage and exit down the inflatable slide. It had no wings, but we didn't care....it was bloody great!


Vickers Viscount 017, Saltwell Airways! Brilliant

One thing Saltwell Park doesn't have and in my opionion would benefit from having a miniature railway that could circle the boating lake, similar to the one I have frequented for years at South Shields. This narrow gauge railway called the Lakeshore Railroad features American Loco's running clockwise around the Boating Lake. To this day I refuse to leave the park until I've had my ride, a rule I've had since 1984.

Santa Fe Loco 3440 'Mountaineer' awaits departure on the
South Shields Lakeshore Railroad

Until next time.....

No comments: